Saturday, April 12, 2014
Writing Contest for Middle & High School Students Sponsored by The Writers of Chantilly
Students are invited to write an original essay, short story or poem on the theme “Unfinished Business”—about a goal, a regret, or something left incomplete or unresolved in the past.
First through third place winners will be chosen to read their work at an author event held on Sunday, September 7, 2014, from 2—4 p.m., at the Chantilly Regional Library in Chantilly, VA. Winners also will receive a writing prize package, and have their work published in a future Writers of Chantilly anthology.
· Only one entry per author may be entered
· Entries must be postmarked/received by May 31, 2014 to be eligible
· Works must be written by students, and reflect their own original ideas
· Pieces will be judged on creativity, content and structure (stories and essays should have a beginning, middle and end; poems may be free verse)
· Stories can be fiction or nonfiction
· Only unpublished works are eligible
· Previous winners of a Writers of Chantilly writing contest are not eligible to enter
· Entries must be typed in English
· Maximum word count of 1,000
Please include your name, grade, school, mailing address, email address and phone number with your entry (your information will be kept confidential), and note if your piece is fiction or nonfiction. All entries will be acknowledged; winners will be notified by June 16, 2014.
Email entries to: WOCwritingcontest@gmail.com
About the Writers of Chantilly
The Writers' of Chantilly meet twice monthly at the Chantilly Library to encourage and support writers 18 and over at all levels—newcomers warmly welcomed. WOC has published several anthologies over the last 12 years, the most recent being Etched in Memory, available on Amazon.com or through the Fairfax County Public Library system. More info: WOCwritingcontest@gmail.com